Did You Move Locations and Fail to Properly Inform USCIS? USCIS Will Now Destroy Undeliverable Green Cards, Travel Documents and EADs

Practice Areas

By: Angelita Chavez-Halaka

Most foreign nationals are required by law to notify USCIS of a change of address within 10 days of moving. This procedural requirement is important so that USCIS can properly mail documents or any other communication to the individual. Foreign nationals who move to another location but fail to properly inform USCIS now face the risk of having their benefit documents destroyed if the communication is returned as undeliverable.

USCIS announced that beginning April 2, 2018, it will begin to destroy Permanent Resident Cards, Employment Authorization Cards (EADs), and Travel Documents that are undeliverable by the U.S. Postal Service after 60 business days.

For individuals who have been waiting for their approved benefits, destroyed documents may lead to further delay.

In light of this new policy, we encourage employers to inform their foreign national employees of the consequences of failing to notify USCIS regarding any change of address. Although it may be challenging to always follow-up on employees who change their residential addresses, it is recommended that employers educate employees of the risks for failure to do so with USCIS.

For more information on how to properly change your address with USCIS, please follow the instructions below.

How Do I Notify USCIS?

Notifying USCIS of a change can be easy. Please visit the Change of Address Information and instructions located here for specific instructions: https://www.uscis.gov/addresschange. USCIS request that you fill out and mail Form AR-11 (Alien’s Change of Address) at the address provided on the form. In some circumstances, you can submit your change of address online and complete the process expeditiously this way.

To learn more about this issue or to subscribe to our newsletter, please email us at info@chugh.com. We also encourage you to share this and other alerts with others who might benefit from its content.


Scroll to Top

Request a Consultation

Please use the form below to request a consultation.

By submitting this contact form, you are opting in to receive email communications from Chugh, LLP. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not submit confidential information through this form.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates about Chugh LLP