On January 9, 2020, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) published a notice in the Federal Register to formally announce the implementation of the electronic registration process for the fiscal year (FY) 2021 H-1B cap season.
What to Expect?
- USCIS will open the H-1B registration period for the FY 2021 cap season from March 1 through March 20, 2020.
- Petitioners intending to file H-1B cap-subject petitions, including those eligible for the advanced degree exemption, must first electronically register with USCIS and pay the $10 registration fee for each submission.
- Prospective petitioners or their authorized representative must submit a separate registration for each H-1B cap petition they to seek to file.
- Petitioners are not allowed to submit duplicate registrations for the same beneficiary in the same fiscal year.
- USCIS will electronically notify registrants no later than March 31, 2020 if they were selected.
- USCIS will provide selected registrants with at least 90 days to file the H-1B cap petition. This filing period will be indicated on the USCIS eligibility notice.
Please Note: USCIS will soon post on its website step-by-step instructions on how to complete the registration process and announce outreach activities to ensure H-1B petitioners are familiar with the new registration system.
Contact us for more information about preparing for the FY2021 H-1B cap season and/or to subscribe to our newsletter, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We also encourage you to share this and other alerts with others who might benefit from its contents.