USCIS No Longer Issuing EAD and Advance Parole Combo Cards to Green Card Applicants

Practice Areas

By: Ujwala Bagal

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently began issuing separate employment authorization documents (EAD) and advanced parole (AP) documents. Previously, the agency issued a combo card with both an EAD and AP.

combo cards

In 2011 USCIS began issuing a combo card for green card applicants. If an individual was already living in the United States and filing an I-485 adjustment of status application, USCIS would issue one document to function as both an EAD and AP. This card looked like a regular EAD card, except it included an extra line at the bottom stating the card “serves as I-512 Advanced Parole.”

why stop issuing combo cards?

USCIS has returned to issuing separate EAD card and AP document to help reduce EAD backlogs and streamline the EAD process.

Green card applicants can expect to receive a regular EAD card in place of a combo card. This EAD card is not valid for re-entry into the United States. To travel, an applicant must present a separate approved AP document.


For help adjusting status to lawful permanent resident, or any case-specific questions, please contact your trusted Chugh, LLP professional.


Scroll to Top

Request a Consultation

Please use the form below to request a consultation.

By submitting this contact form, you are opting in to receive email communications from Chugh, LLP. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not submit confidential information through this form.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates about Chugh LLP