Filing Motions to Reopen and Reconsider for Immigration Cases

Foreign nationals who receive a visa denial from the United States Immigration and Citizenship Services (USCIS) can appeal the decision with either a motion to reopen or reconsider, depending on the circumstances. An individual can file a motion to reconsider if they feel that the judge did not correctly apply the law, submitted facts, or federal immigration policy. If instead, the foreign national has new evidence that they did not submit in the original case, they can file a motion to reopen.