Changes to Form I-485 Allow Applicants to Receive Social Security Numbers

Practice Areas

By: Brittany Simmons

Individuals may now apply for a Social Security number (SSN) as part of the application process to adjust status to lawful permanent resident, or green card holder. Prior to the policy change, applicants would need to apply for an unrestricted SSN at a Social Security office.

A revised Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is now available. The form includes questions needed to obtain an SSN or a replacement card.

For most cases, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will electronically transmit the data from an approved Form I-485 to the Social Security Administration. After the Social Security Administration receives the information, it will issue a replacement unrestricted card or assign a new SSN to the applicant. The SSN card should arrive within a few weeks of the permanent resident card.

The filing fee for Form I-485 will not change due to the new inter-agency collaboration. Applicants must file using the updated Form I-485 beginning today.


Scroll to Top

Request a Consultation

Please use the form below to request a consultation.

By submitting this contact form, you are opting in to receive email communications from Chugh, LLP. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not submit confidential information through this form.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates about Chugh LLP