By: Kirti Kalra
The H-1B CAP season is upon us again. Besides urging companies to start early in their preparation to meet the April deadline, here are a few useful tips for HR Personnel to assure a timely completion of the process.
- Get the employment agreement signing and other related on-boarding procedures out of the way as early as possible.
- Make a checklist of the documents necessary for each H-1B candidate. There will be so many documents and so little time. This will help you keep track of them all.
- Involve the necessary management teams early on in the process to assure that you have the necessary information/documents that substantiate the H-1B position as required by the petition process.
- Account for the mandatory LCA processing wait time—absolutely no last minute filings possible.
- Account for mistakes in LCA processing, so allow time to be able to process a second LCA. Double wait time!
- Account for computer/printer/copier/scanner malfunction. This happens, but USCIS does not care for even real excuses.
- Put in early requests for funds to the appropriate department to approve H-1B filing Fees—many petitions miss the deadlines waiting on filing fee checks.
- Do not rely on the prospective employees to be timely in providing the necessary personal documents.
- Most importantly, you will be extremely busy during this time of the year. Seek help from other co-workers in your department to double check information, signatures, documents, and other necessary steps to ensure a successful completion of the petition processes.
- The most obvious tip and the least utilized tip, reach out immigration attorney early in the process to help guide you in any questions you may have regarding the process.