Build Back Better bill Passes House
November 19, 2021|
By: Min Kim
The Build Back Better reconciliation bill has passed the House. It is unclear whether the bill will be passed into law, and if so, whether it will change from its current form.
Immigration related provisions
On November 19. 2021 an amended version of the Build Back Better reconciliation bill was passed in the House. The bill contains a measure which would grant five-year parole to immigrants that lack proper documentation if they meet all the following conditions:
- Continuous presence in the United States since before January 1, 2011.
- Filing an application and paying a fee, and
- Passing a background check.
Parole would grant individuals with the right to apply for work authorization, international travel, and driver’s licenses. The bill would allow parole to be extended one time through September 2031.
Additional immigration measures in the Build Back Better bill include increasing legal representation, reducing backlogs, and updating border processing. The bill also includes security for unauthorized immigrants, and processing time improvements for employment-based and diversity visa categories.
To become law, the bill must next pass a Senate vote. The vote is expected to take place soon.
changes to the bill
The Build Back Better bill originally called for $3.5 trillion in investments in childcare, education, paid leave, healthcare, clean energy, and other programs. Its budget has significantly reduced to $1.9 trillion. Items removed from the bill include vision and dental coverage under the Affordable Care Act, and two years of free community college.
Our Chugh, LLP immigration team will continue to monitor the Build Back Better bill and provide immigration-related updates as they become available. For case-specific questions please contact your trusted Chugh, LLP professional.
- Corporate Law
- Family Law
- Class Action
- Corporate Formation And Formalities
- Mergers And Acquisition
- Joint Ventures
- Employment Law
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- Doing Business In India
- Estate Planning
- Premarital, Marital And Cohabitation Agreements
- Divorce And Legal Separation
- Spousal Support / Alimony
- Child Custody, Visitation And Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Government Contract
- Corporate Immigration
- Employment Based Permanent Residence (green Card)
- H-1b Visas For Temporary Workers
- Intracompany Transferee Visa (l-1a/l1b)
- Tn Visas
- Labor Certification And National Interest Waiver
- I-9 Compliance
- O-1 Visa (individuals Of Extraordinary Ability)
- H-2 Visas
- B-1 Visa
- Family-based Immigration
- Permanent Residence
- K Visas
- International Adoption
- Us Citizenship & Naturalization
- Eb-5 Green Card
- Treaty Trader Visa E-1
- Treaty Investor Visa E-2
- Students And Work Authorization
- F-1 Student Visa
- Removal Defense
- Victims Of Crime
- U Visas
- T Visas
- Other Immigration Categories
- Landlord & Tenant
- Personal Injury
- Tax Law
- Overseas Education Consultancy