Call Us: 1.877. 24844 .85

|Email Us:

US Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman to Provide Case Assistance for Card Delay

By: Angelita Chavez | July 22, 2020

By: Mishita Jethi

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) currently has a reduced capacity to print secure documents, including Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) cards (or green cards), and Employment Authorization Documents (EADs). This lowered capacity comes after USCIS ended its contract with a third-party printing company in June 2020. A hiring freeze has also decreased the agency’s ability to meet the demand for card printing.

USCIS expects that this printing delay will continue for the foreseeable future. The agency may also face a possible employee furlough on August 3, 2020, which could further delay the printing of secure documents.

Individuals whose applications have been approved but who have not yet received their cards must first try to resolve the issue with USCIS. If USCIS cannot provide a solution, these individuals can send a case assistance request to the Office of Citizenship and Immigration Services Ombudsman. LPRs can request a stamp of temporary evidence for their passport that shows proof of their status by calling the USCIS Contact Center at 800-375-5283 and making an appointment at their local USCIS field office.


Our attorneys will continue to monitor the printing delay as it develops. Please contact your trusted Chugh, LLP attorney for help with case-specific questions.

Latest Posts


  • Corporate Law
  • Tax
  • Immigration
  • Litigation
  • Family Law
  • Class Action
  • Corporate Formation And Formalities
  • Mergers And Acquisition
  • Joint Ventures
  • Employment Law
  • Real Estate
  • Intellectual Property
  • Doing Business In India
  • Entertainment
  • Estate Planning
  • Premarital, Marital And Cohabitation Agreements
  • Divorce And Legal Separation
  • Spousal Support / Alimony
  • Child Custody, Visitation And Parenting Time
  • Child Support
  • Government Contract
  • Corporate Immigration
  • Employment Based Permanent Residence (green Card)
  • H-1b Visas For Temporary Workers
  • Intracompany Transferee Visa (l-1a/l1b)
  • Tn Visas
  • Labor Certification And National Interest Waiver
  • I-9 Compliance
  • O-1 Visa (individuals Of Extraordinary Ability)
  • H-2 Visas
  • B-1 Visa
  • Family-based Immigration
  • Permanent Residence
  • K Visas
  • International Adoption
  • Us Citizenship & Naturalization
  • Investors
  • Eb-5 Green Card
  • Treaty Trader Visa E-1
  • Treaty Investor Visa E-2
  • Students And Work Authorization
  • F-1 Student Visa
  • M-visas
  • Removal Defense
  • Victims Of Crime
  • Vawa
  • U Visas
  • T Visas
  • Other Immigration Categories
  • International
  • Landlord & Tenant
  • Personal Injury
  • Tax Law
  • Overseas Education Consultancy
  • Universal