When is an H-1B Visa Amendment Required?
June 16, 2021|
Partner and Attorney Angelita Chavez and Senior Immigration Paralegal Swapnali Kelkar provide an overview of H-1B visa amendments, and when employers must file them.
Employers must file an H-1B amendment any time there is a “material change” to an H-1B employee’s work conditions, which may include changes to:
- Work location if it moves outside of:
- The metropolitan statistical area listed in the original labor condition application (LCA), or
- A reasonable commuting distance.
- Job duties.
- Number of hours worked.
- Full-time or part-time status.
- And more.
Short-term and temporary stints at a different work location do not require an amended H-1B petition if the work meets certain conditions.
In most cases, employers should not file multiple H-1B amendments for the same beneficiary at once. An amendment denial does not impact an employee’s H-1B status.
- Corporate Law
- Family Law
- Class Action
- Corporate Formation And Formalities
- Mergers And Acquisition
- Joint Ventures
- Employment Law
- Real Estate
- Intellectual Property
- Doing Business In India
- Estate Planning
- Premarital, Marital And Cohabitation Agreements
- Divorce And Legal Separation
- Spousal Support / Alimony
- Child Custody, Visitation And Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Government Contract
- Corporate Immigration
- Employment Based Permanent Residence (green Card)
- H-1b Visas For Temporary Workers
- Intracompany Transferee Visa (l-1a/l1b)
- Tn Visas
- Labor Certification And National Interest Waiver
- I-9 Compliance
- O-1 Visa (individuals Of Extraordinary Ability)
- H-2 Visas
- B-1 Visa
- Family-based Immigration
- Permanent Residence
- K Visas
- International Adoption
- Us Citizenship & Naturalization
- Eb-5 Green Card
- Treaty Trader Visa E-1
- Treaty Investor Visa E-2
- Students And Work Authorization
- F-1 Student Visa
- Removal Defense
- Victims Of Crime
- U Visas
- T Visas
- Other Immigration Categories
- Landlord & Tenant
- Personal Injury
- Tax Law
- Overseas Education Consultancy