Why does ICE Perform Site Visits?
ICE conducts site visits to ensure compliance with the STEM OPT program requirements and attestations made in the students’ Training Plans (Form I-983).
What to Expect from a Site Visit?
- ICE will typically provide a two-day email notice to the STEM OPT manager
- The site visit is expected to be unannounced if based on a complaint
- ICE will review the following:
- Whether the employer meets STEM OPT regulations
- How the salary of STEM OPT student is determined
- Training plan and structure of supervision of the STEM OPT student
- Supervision of the STEM OPT student working at a third party location
What to DO?
- Employers and STEM OPT students should review and fully understand the contents of the Training Plan
- Update the Training Plan if there are any changes made to the training program
- Create a plan for administrative staff and security officers to follow when receiving an ICE officer
- Request the ICE officer for his business card
- Have a designated staff accompany the ICE officer at all times during inspection
Contact us at email@example.com for help on maintaining compliance with STEM OPT regulations. We also encourage you to share our newsletter with contacts who those who might benefit from this information.