US State Department Issues Guidance for Medical Professionals on Visas

Practice Areas

By: Armando Escobedo, Jacqueline Valle, Jagan Tamirisa


The US Department of State (DOS) is encouraging medical professionals who are working to treat or mitigate the effects of the coronavirus and who also hold approved immigrant or nonimmigration visa petitions (I-129, I-140, etc.), or certificates of eligibility from an approved visitor exchange program (DS-2019), to review their nearest embassy or consulate’s DOS website page for procedures on how to request a visa appointment.

What about foreign medical professionals that are already in the us?

  • Physicians on J-1 status (medical residents) should consult their program sponsor to extend their program in the US.
  • Foreign medical professionals who need to extend their stay or adjust their visa status must apply with US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). 

Contact us

To learn more about this issue or to subscribe to our newsletter, please email us at We also encourage you to share this and other alerts with others who might benefit from its content.

Scroll to Top

Request a Consultation

Please use the form below to request a consultation.

By submitting this contact form, you are opting in to receive email communications from Chugh, LLP. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not submit confidential information through this form.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates about Chugh LLP