USCIS Update: Obtain a Work Authorization Document and Social Security Number Simultaneously

Practice Areas

By: Elizabeth Goings

Need to file a work permit and an SSN?

Certain foreign nationals seeking permission to legally work need both an employment authorization document (EAD) and a Social Security number (SSN). Previously, the foreign national worker needed to file an EAD separately and then head over to their local Social Security office in person to obtain the SSN.

USCIS has now streamlined this process.

The most recent version of the work permit application allows foreign nationals to apply for an employment authorization document (EAD) and a Social Security number (SSN) using the same form. USCIS will then transmit the additional data collected on the form to the SSA for processing.

Applicants who receive their approved EADs from USCIS based on this updated form should receive their Social Security card from SSA within the following two weeks.

Employers should note that the most recent version of the EAD application is dated 07/07/17. This version asks the applicant whether they would like the SSA to issue a social security card. It also proceeds to ask for additional details regarding the applicant.

For more information on the revised I-765 form and the documents required to submit it USCIS, please feel free to contact us.

Excerpts taken from the following resource: USCIS News Release at

Scroll to Top

Request a Consultation

Please use the form below to request a consultation.

By submitting this contact form, you are opting in to receive email communications from Chugh, LLP. Submitting this form does not create an attorney-client relationship. Do not submit confidential information through this form.

Sign Up to Our Newsletter

Get the latest news and updates about Chugh LLP