The H-1B Visa Grace Period: What to Do After Losing Your Job On an H-1B Visa

During this five-minute video, Chugh, LLP Attorney Joy Dungca and Immigration Consultant Jagan Tamirisa discuss what an H-1B visa grace period is, how to obtain one, and what options an H-1B holder has to remain in the US after losing their job.

The H-1B visa program offers a 60-day grace period for individuals that are laid-off, terminated, or resign from their position. During this period, H-1B visa holders can remain in the United States while they find a new job or apply for a change of status.

The grace period:

  • Begins the day immediately after the H-1B worker’s last day of employment.
  • Allows H-1B visa holders and their H-4 dependents to maintain valid nonimmigrant status.
  • Does not allow H-1B workers to travel internationally.
  • Does not require a formal application process.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) could deny an H-1B grace period for beneficiaries who do not have convincing evidence of hardship. For this reason, H-1B beneficiaries should avoid resigning from their jobs unless they have legitimate justification.

Foreign nationals can remain in the US beyond their 60-day grace period if they:

  • Find a new employer that can file an H-1B visa transfer petition,
  • Find an employer to sponsor them on a different visa type.
  • Change to dependent status if they have a spouse working in the US on an H-1B or L visa, or


For help exploring immigration options for yourself or an employee, contact your trusted Chugh, LLP immigration professional.

Latest Posts


  • Corporate Law
  • Tax
  • Immigration
  • Litigation
  • Family Law
  • Class Action
  • Corporate Formation And Formalities
  • Mergers And Acquisition
  • Joint Ventures
  • Employment Law
  • Real Estate
  • Intellectual Property
  • Doing Business In India
  • Entertainment
  • Estate Planning
  • Premarital, Marital And Cohabitation Agreements
  • Divorce And Legal Separation
  • Spousal Support / Alimony
  • Child Custody, Visitation And Parenting Time
  • Child Support
  • Government Contract
  • Corporate Immigration
  • Employment Based Permanent Residence (green Card)
  • H-1b Visas For Temporary Workers
  • Intracompany Transferee Visa (l-1a/l1b)
  • Tn Visas
  • Labor Certification And National Interest Waiver
  • I-9 Compliance
  • O-1 Visa (individuals Of Extraordinary Ability)
  • H-2 Visas
  • B-1 Visa
  • Family-based Immigration
  • Permanent Residence
  • K Visas
  • International Adoption
  • Us Citizenship & Naturalization
  • Investors
  • Eb-5 Green Card
  • Treaty Trader Visa E-1
  • Treaty Investor Visa E-2
  • Students And Work Authorization
  • F-1 Student Visa
  • M-visas
  • Removal Defense
  • Victims Of Crime
  • Vawa
  • U Visas
  • T Visas
  • Other Immigration Categories
  • International
  • Landlord & Tenant
  • Personal Injury
  • Tax Law
  • Overseas Education Consultancy
  • Universal

© 2024 Chugh LLP Affiliate Network. All Rights Reserved