The H-2 visa is designed for certain foreign nationals to work temporarily for US employers. These roles usually face a shortage of US workers. Employers must prove that a job is truly temporary to qualify for H-2 visa sponsorship.

The H-2A visa covers agricultural employees, while the H-2B is for non-agricultural workers.


As of January 2018, nationals from the following countries are eligible for H-2A and H‑2B visas. Nationals of countries not listed may be eligible on a case-by-case basis.

Andorra Fiji Madagascar Singapore
Argentina Finland Malta Slovakia
Australia France Moldova* Slovenia
Austria Germany Mexico Solomon Islands
Barbados Greece Monaco South Africa
Belgium Grenada Mongolia South Korea
Brazil Guatemala Montenegro Spain
Brunei Honduras Nauru St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Bulgaria Hungary The Netherlands Sweden
Canada Iceland Nicaragua Switzerland
Chile Ireland New Zealand Taiwan
Colombia Israel Norway Thailand
Costa Rica Italy Panama Timor-Leste
Croatia Jamaica Papua New Guinea Tonga
Czech Republic Japan Peru Turkey
Denmark Kiribati The Philippines Tuvalu
Dominican Republic Latvia Poland Ukraine
Ecuador Liechtenstein Portugal United Kingdom
El Salvador Lithuania Romania Uruguay
Estonia Luxembourg San Marino Vanuatu
Ethiopia Macedonia Serbia  

* Nationals of Moldova are eligible for H-2A visas, but they are not eligible for H-2B.


To sponsor a foreign agricultural worker on a temporary H-2A visa, an employer must do the following:

  • Offer a vacant full-time job that is temporary or seasonal
  • Demonstrate that there are not enough qualified, willing, or able US workers to fill the role(s)
  • Prove that hiring a foreign worker in the role will not negatively impact pay and working conditions of US workers
  • Submit a valid temporary Labor Certification from the US Department of Labor

Except in special circumstances, H-2A positions should not last longer than one year.


Employers must prove that US workers will not be adversely affected by hiring a foreign H-2A worker.

Before filing a petition for the H-2A worker, the employer must first verify the prevailing wage for workers in this category. This information can be found at the Foreign Labor Certification Data Center Online Wage Library. The employer must pay the minimum prevailing wage for the role.

Next, the employer must apply for labor certification.

First the employer must file a job order using ETA Form 790 with the State Workforce Agency between 60-75 days before they will need the worker. This job order must include the following information:

  • Tax ID numbers
  • State Farm Labor Contractor Licensing Requirements

Prospective employers must file a Form I-129 on behalf of the foreign national.


The length of stay on an H-2B visa depends on what is agreed upon in the Labor Certification. It may be extended for periods of one year at a time, for a maximum of three total years.

For more information, please contact us at info@chugh.com

Know more about our people here.

Read our latest news and updates here.

© 2024 Chugh LLP Affiliate Network. All Rights Reserved